Enough about that, this is about great songs for the erg. Now a large list was compiled on Row2K recently and here is the link to that. I came up with my own list and you'll see a few songs that they mentioned on Row2K but naturally my list is
1. "In Your Honor" Foo Fighters -- Who doesn't like this one. Particularly good as a warmup for a race
2. "Paper Planes" M.I.A. -- Gunshots used as percussion, samples The Clash. Its all good.
3. "Pinpricks" You Am I -- The best band no one in the USA has ever heard of. I am not kidding. Did I mention they are the best band you've never heard of? They are that.
4. "My Body" Young the Giant-- "My body tells me no but I won't quit cuz I want more" Has a more erg-appropriate song ever been written? I think not.
5. "Rusty Cage" Soundgarden-- No explanation needed for this one
6. "If You Want Blood" AC/DC-- yeah because at the end of a hard 2k you are gonna be tasting it. I have no idea why you taste blood after a max 2k but most people do. Does anyone know why this is. Pulmonary capillary congestion? I never cough any up or anything though. What gives? Anyway almost anything by AC/DC is good for the erg or anything else. If You am I is the best band you have never heard of well AC/DC is the best band you have heard of. If you don't own all their albums I pity you.
7. "Wolf Like Me" TV on the Radio-- Pretty visceral and quite good
8. "Where the Streets Have No Name" U2-- Amazing song from an amazing album by an amazing band. 'nuff said
9."Submission" Sex Pistols-- For a band that allegedly couldn't play their instruments this is pretty good. Excellent choice for those lower rate higher drag pieces, which by the way you should be doing
10. "Ain't No Right" Jane's Addiction-- Its a song about pain tolerance. You'll need it.
11. "Surrender" Cheap Trick-- Make sure its the live version from the Budokan album. Cheap Trick is one of the few bands that sounds way better live than in the studio. In fact for a longer steady state session you could throw the whole Budokan concert on and have an nice time.
12. "Lit Up" Buckcherry-- Good stuff right here
13. "Aneurysm" Nirvana-- Make sure it is the live version from "Muddy Banks if the Wishka" They play this one so hard that it seems like at times its gonna fall apart but it doesn't. Kinda like the way you should feel on a hard interval.
14. "I Turn My Camera On" Spoon-- This is a good one. There are so many Spoon songs that deserve honorable mention here it is ridiculous.
15. "Jail Break" Thin Lizzy-- One of the best bands ever. This is a classic.
16. "Police on my Back" The Clash-- The thing speaks for itself
17. "Teenage Riot" Sonic Youth-- "You're it"
18. "B.O.B." Outkast-- Maybe a little fast but what a great song. Might get you up to 40 SPM
19. "Sweet Emotion" Aerosmith-- Phoned it in on this one cuz its a no-brainer plus there are a lot of rowers in Boston.
20. "Till I Collapse" Eminem-- Arguably the best erg song ever.
So there it is. 20 erg-tastic songs....Now off you go to itunes, spotify or wherever to make your playlist.